Projects in traffic research","")?>
Our group is involved in different projects listed below:
- Within the Research Cooperative for
Traffic Simulation and Impacts on the Environment" we investigate
the assignment of traffic demand on the road network of Wuppertal, a
city in Northrheinwestfalia, and also on the road network of the
region bordered of the cities Cologne-Düsseldorf-Aachen. Using
microsimulation of traffic on these networks it is possible to examine
not only general properties of road traffic but also to determine its
impacts on the environment.
- In a subproject of the special research area SFB 419 "Environmental problems of industrial
population centres" , founded in January 1999 at the University of
Cologne, we intend to analyse the origins of air pollutants and to
describe their transport and transformation by simulations. For these
purposes our group performs dynamic simulations of street traffic to
compute the arising emissions. These are used as input for
meteorological calculations done by the Institute
for Geophysics and Meteorology at Cologne University.
- Getting towards an integrated view on mobility
and its causes our group is working together with several partners, namely
ISB (RWTH Aachen),
IVF (DLR) and
WI. The goal is the creation of an complete
tool in which models of the estimation of travel demand, activity modelling of
indiviual agents and models microscopic simulation of traffic flow are combined.
The project called SimVV
is granted by the ministery of school, science and research of
(MSWF) since beginning of 2000.
- Within the scope of the DFG-Program "Real-time Optimisation of
big systems" we deal with problems of online-routing.
Here we investigate algorithms for finding shortest paths in networks
whose cost functions vary dynamically with traffic load.
- The DFN-Project (3V-Project), supported by the state
ministery of education, science, research and technology (BMBF) and
the northrheinwestfalian ministry of research and science, deals
with the subject of distributed traffic simulation and visualisation using the infrastructure of the Gigabit-Testbed
- In collaboration with
K+V GmbH (Greven) we investigated the impacts of modifications inside train stations.
For this purpose a software tool was developed that enables the modelling of
train movements with the most important operations and the determination of
the effects on the operating schedule. A more detailed description of
the tool for modelling of train movement can be found
here (in German only).
- Within the research project stadtinfoköln we computed short-term predictions of the traffic situation of the street network of Cologne. This work was done in colaboration with Institut für Verkehrsforschung (DRL) and ISB (RWTH Aachen).
- The complex interaction of mobility needs, land use and impacts by traffic are focused in the research project ILUMASS (Integrated Land-Use Modelling and Transportation System Simulation).
For detailled information about our traffic simulation please click:
Literature and Links.